Kokeshi with indomitable spirit

This is a picture of kokeshi.The type is a traditional Tsuchiyu kokeshi.The artisan is Ken-ichi Nishiyama.The tall is 30cm,12inch,the max width is 8cm,3inch,the max circumference is 23cm,9inch.
[kokeshi description]

  • artisan : Ken-ichi Nishiyama
  • type : Traditional Tsuchiyu
  • tall : 30cm(12inch)
  • max width : 8cm(3inch)
  • max circumference : 23cm(9inch)

Once-Daring Kokeshi

Kokeshi is one of Japanese classical art crafts.It came from Tohoku, northeast region in Japan where many people had made their lives by woodworking.



In 19th it was popular as typical souvenir at onsen, hot spa – Japanese always have loved onsen and Tohoku has had many good onsen. I hear kokeshi was popular souvenir among soldiers of The Occupation who were stationed in Japan after WWⅡ. If so, I would like to know how their kokeshi are.

Kokeshi's Dark Days

In my childhood-more than 30 years ago or so- there was a boom of kokeshi-collecting.(Accurately, before that time, there had been several its booms.) Passing boom left several kokeshi our home. And after its boom ended, as a matter of routine, they were so poorly treated. My father would regard them as massager – he rubbed his stiff neck and back with them. As for me, they were quite strangers to me and I paid no notice to them. So,we were not even aware when we had lost them. I bet that they broke out of my home because they were intolerable for our contempt.I'm so sorry...



It was not only me who dishonoured them. Some hesitate to say the word“kokeshi” because it is also slang implies a kind of adult toy - dildo. I can't deny they look alike in shape. But I have to say for their honor' s, I haven't found another evidence that they were mixed up with the case – they are not to blame for slut just because someone might have 'used' them.



Modestly but Proudly

Now, they are not so popular as they used to be, but they are regarded as one of Japanese traditional crafts, and some collectors take good of them. I don't know whether they think their hard time pay, but her smile in the picture seems to be“a curve that sets everything straight”.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP