Old Stubborn Kokeshi Boys

Kokeshi Artisan Spirit

At that time when kokeshi were so popular,they had been sold at most antique shops and souvenir shops.But for some kokeshi connoisseurs,"It is NOT COOL" to buy them at these shops.They would take their time to visit artisans'workshops and to get them.It made no difference how long and how much it took and cost them because they wanted to see their favourite artisans and to enjoy talking to them.But -It was never an easy job.

There is a word "artisan spirit" in Japan,which means "determined","strict",and very often "stubborn".They usually applied their such great diligence to their works,but at the same time,they were often applied to "OTHERS" -that is,they were stern with other people -even including their customers and clients.I hear some artisans often made his customers go away or refused to sell his works no matter how much money - In most cases,some customers were so rude and high-and-mighty to them,but sometimes it turned out that they were just in a bad temper.

Godlike Artisan

That remind me of a bitter experiences.Once,I visited an artisan's workshop.Actually,I just stopped off at his shop out of mere curiosity about his shabby workshop and a sign "kokeshi" - of-course,I wasn't so interested in kokeshi at that time.

When I looked through a window,I found an old man was working with sewing machine-like,worn-out machine.He was about 80 years,wrinkled,grey-haired,apparently so fragile an old man -except his stern eyes.He was just crafting his works with rokuro.For just a moment,I hesitated to come in his shop,but I challenged to do -Yes,I was a customer and he was just a seller,and in Japan, "The customer is God!".

I looked at his works -which were put on shelves untidily- for a while,but he said nothing to me.In fact,he didn't even look at me.I felt awkward at the same time I felt angry about his cold shoulder -"What an arrogant man! I never come in such a shop again,and I will never get interested in kokeshi any more!!".I was about to leave the shop.

"Oh,sir,when did you come in?" The old man said to me."I'm sorry that I couldn't notice you.I have poor eyesight and weak hearing.I'm getting too old..." he stood up and came near me slowly."Sorry,as you can see,here are few kokeshi.Now,I just craft ones which my old clients begs me eagerly." He said to me with a slightly wry smile."But if you find ones which you like ,you can take them." I chose two little kokeshi,and when I was just to pay,he said, "No,no,I 'll give them away to you because you kindly come to see my kokeshi all the way." with rather mischievous smile.

Maybe he understood I was just a browser and a know-nothing about kokeshi.It was not the customer that is God,but the seller.

Today few shops sell kokeshi because of less demand.Instead,there has been increasing transactions on online-auction among kokeshi manias.That's great because there is a possibility that kokeshi will gain the acceptance of people worldwide through the Internet.But if you have time,how about coming to Japan and visiting their workshops? I think it is good for you to buy kokeshi face to face because you could get them for free like me -God only knows it!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP