What's "Tohoku" in Japan?

[kokeshi description]

  • artisan : Kin-ichiro Sasaki
  • type : traditional Nukuyu
  • tall : 31cm(12inch)
  • max width : 7cm(3inch)










The other day,one of my friends who know I love kokeshi - I'm not so naive as to tell anyone about my kokeshi-liking.Because it comes to light among my friends,they will surely wonder about,and quiz me - some of them might even take me away "in order to reform me".Anyway,she asked me,"kokeshi is really cute! but Tohoku was poor at that time?" I replied,"Yes,they 'were' poor,but I'm 'still' poor" - actually,I just had little time to talk to her.But then,I thought about her question,"Here we go again..'poor Tohoku'".Of-course,I know very well she meant no offence.

"Tohoku" - the word has originally a meaning of geographic direction "north-east" in Japanese,and it has another meaning of "north-east region in Japan".The word "region" includes not only geographic areas,but also areas with its own customs or historical background.And most Japanese think "Tohoku has harsh weather,and the people was always poor" just as she thought -  because we have learnt it at school.I also believed it - until I read other books about it. Apart from "whether poor or not" - I'll talk about it some time - I have a little funny experience.

My wife and I had a matchmaker "at a wedding ceremony" - it was not a "real matchmaker",but "ceremonial and temporary matchmaker". Originally,matchmakers are the ones who arrange introduction or give advice on marital life in Japan,but they are also often needed only for a kind of special guest in Japanese marriage ceremony style - this is a kind of custom in Japan,although it is not as popular as it used to be.We asked my boss for our ceremonial matchmaker in our marriage - this style of  "asking one's boss for ceremonial matchmaker in marriage" was also popular custom in Japanese domestic companies.He accepted it.











On the day of our marriage ceremony,we introduced him to my wife's parents and relatives.After a short formal greeting,my boss said to them.  

"I come from Yamaguchi prefecture,old name 'Choshu' and I know you come from Fukushima,old name 'Aizu'.We were mutual enemies about 100 years ago,But now here,we've just signed a peace cord!!"

All of those present dropped their jaws -"What is he talking about?" After a moment,I just got it! - his joke.But I was a little slow to realize it - one of my wife's relatives was already set for his reply .

"Sure,but it's something in the past.Now,Japan is a peaceful country,and I have also some friends in Yamaguchi,who are fellows in my company.So,please never mind it.We don't bear grudge any more...".

my uncle-in-low took it seriously!! I had to take an "urgent counter-measure".I said to him.

"I come from nearby Kyoto.So,I'm so afraid you force me to commit "Harakiri" as a member of  Choshu sides.But I'm so sorry I don't know the ritual of it because my ancestor wasn't Samurai". - I didn't know whether this was really effective for him.But fortunately,I'm alive now.

What's the origin of this story? - "Boshin War",a kind of civil war in Japan.And this was one of essential elements to understand "Tohoku".I'll talk about it next time.But still - I love his joke,but I have to say,he was also infamous for ill-timed joker in our office. 
















 

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP